To better understand buying organic vegetables and fruits is to know about the farming system that produces them. Organic farming produces food not using synthetic chemicals and artificial fertilizers. Organic foods are naturally processed, not using anything synthetic or artificial. The vegetables and fruits are all chemical-free, and you can be sure that the way they are produced is closely monitored so that you can be sure you are buying the freshest and the very best and safest to put on your table.
1. Certified growers and buying organic
When you’re out shopping, always look for fresh produce that comes from certified organic growers. These are among the very best farmers in Australia and have farms in the local region. You can even get tropical fruit in the season, usually from northern Queensland and the NT. Meanwhile, southern growers supply you with the freshest produce throughout the summer months. Look to see that the product you choose is Aussie produce and not imported.
To make sure you are buying organic vegetables and fruits at all markets, make sure that you check to see that they are certified organic. You can find labels on the products that will specify it has been grown organically. They come from farmers that specifically grow their fresh produce according to a specified system with no chemical or artificial ingredients of any kind,
2. Benefits of buying organically grown produce
It is a known fact that organic farming practices produce better vegetables and fruits. Among the benefits are:
- Studies have shown that organically grown produce provides more nutrition with higher vitamin C levels, different minerals, and antioxidants.
- There are lower detectable pesticide residues. Organically grown crops have about one third as many pesticide residues as those conventionally grown. They are safer to eat when considering what we put in our bodies.
- More taste comes from organically grown foods. They are produced on smaller farms and don’t contain preservatives. Once put on the market, they are at their freshest best and ready for consumption.
- Organic produce is better for the environment because organic farming practices have less pollution, conserve water, reduce soil erosion, and increase soil fertility.
It is possible to pick and choose the types of products you wish to purchase grown organically. The best is to choose from apples, celery, cherries, grapes, kale, nectarines, peaches, pears, potatoes, spinach, strawberries, and tomatoes. Selecting these types of grown organically will reduce your exposure to pesticides and harmful ingredients ingested.
Please select from various foods from different sources. This will offer you a better combination of nutrients and significantly limit your exposure to pesticides. When possible, purchase vegetables and fruit in season to get the very freshest produce and shop at farmers’ markets. Always read food labels carefully to ensure that the product you choose has been organically grown, which is still the safest and healthiest alternative. At home, wash and scrub all your fresh vegetables and fruit thoroughly under running water. It will remove any leftover dirt, bacteria, and chemicals from the surface. Removing the outer leaves of leafy vegetables can also reduce contaminants.
So when you are choosing organic vegetables and fruits, always remember to check them over carefully. Hervey Bay fruit and vegetables by Farmgate Express are the best organically grown produce in the area.