With so many retirement home options in the Melbourne area, it can be difficult to even start your search. Luckily, there are a lot of options to consider to help you start to narrow your search. Besides looking at the reviews of a community, it is important to think about the necessities you may have. For example, if you need a certain kind of care, it may be good to look for specific communities that are known for their service in that area. You also want to decide what kind of home you want to live in, what sort of community environment you are interested in, and what amenities are most important to you.
Things to Consider About a Retirement Home Community
Before you even starting a search, there are some elements you can start thinking about to help you decide what attributes are most important to you. This is an environment where you don’t want to feel like you are downsizing or losing the ability to do what you always have, you want it to feel like a positive and relaxing change. Here are the things to consider to find the right retirement home for you.
- Amenities – Many retirement home communities now have a plethora of amenities to make your stay feel like an amazing vacation. For instance, some communities have shared gardens, a shared community central house to visit with other community members, theatres, restaurants, and even studios where you can pursue artistic endeavours.
- Home Features – The perfect retirement home allows you to continue your life without sacrificing anything you had previously. For instance, if you are thinking about adopting a pet, you will want your new retirement home to allow for that. Think about whether you would like a porch or balcony space for plants, or if you want a guest room for friends and family.
- Health Access – As is important when moving to any location, it is essential to make sure there is proper access to the care you need. If there is a specialist you see or a specific doctor you visit, it may be good to start looking in that area.
- Recreational Activities – Many retirement home communities have activities to engage the residents with each other. These can be anything from movie nights to nature walks. It can be hard to get out and socialise, so having the events come to you can help you bond with neighbours and interact with people without any hassle.
- Care – Even if you don’t currently need care, it is a possibility you will in the future. Consider the kinds of care that are provided in a retirement home community so that you can live comfortably in this home long-term.
Types of Retirement Home Care
There are different types of care that are most often provided in retirement home communities. All of these are great to have access to and can give you peace of mind for the future, even if you don’t require any care currently.
- Independent Living Care – This type of care is excellent for people who don’t need help with their personal care or medication, but don’t want to worry about things like home maintenance.
- Assisted Living Care – This care is ideal for those who need help with their daily routine, such as bathing or taking medication. If you have had a medical emergency in the past that you are concerned about happening again, this sort of care can give you peace of mind. This also is a good pick for those with mobility issues.
- Memory Care – This kind of care is specifically for those with memory issues such as dementia or Alzheimer’s. It provides things like supervision and specialised care, and can help someone who has issues socialising to become engaged in the community.