If you have been diagnosed with bulging disc, you may have wondered how that happened. This is a common condition and can occur at just about any age. However, it is usually people in the senior category who suffer from it. Younger people who tend to indulge in strenuous activity or labor work might also become prone to a bulging disc.
What is disc protrusion?
The spine comprises of the vertebrae. Each of these have a disc in between so that any shock to the spine is absorbed and thus preventing a major injury. These help make movement simplified. The disc have a hard casing and a jelly like center. Sometimes sudden movements or train to the spinal area can cause the spinal material to bulge out from the disc. This might cause pressure on the surrounding nerves which results in pain. The compressed nerves send a message to the brain and the body might feel pain in certain area where the disc bulging has occurred.
It should be kept in mind that this is usually not a sudden process but one which happens over a period of time. If care is not taken or the condition ignored, it can only progress to the extent where surgery might be the only option. Early intervention and home remedies can help resolve the issue for most people.
Symptoms of disc protrusion
If the herniated disc position has not been reached yet, the patients might not feel any kind of symptoms. This is the main reason why it becomes difficult to identify the situation until it’s already too late. However a healthy life style and activity levels can help take care of the matter. In such cases prevention is the best. People should take care that they don’t strain or sprain the neck or back by using ergonomic position.
When someone suffers from bulging disc, they would feel a variety of sensations. The following are some of the symptoms which individual might undergo:
- Initially one might only feel mild tingling or numbness in the affected region
- Mild to moderate pain which might get more severe as the disease starts to take effect and becomes more severe.
- A bulging disc in the cervical area would mean pain and tingling in the neck, back, arm and shoulder.
- However, people also experience bulging disc in the lumbar area which result in lower back pain or sciatica.
- Sometimes people also have a problem in walking or urinary incontinence. This is an indication that the disease has progressed a great deal and needs to be evaluated on an immediate basis.
Usually people who led a sedentary lifestyle suffer from disc protrusion. Treatment options normally involves four to ix weeks of therapy administered at home. These would mean chiropractic care and gentle exercises supplemented with pain killers which are anti-inflammatory. When this treatment doesn’t provide results the next option might be surgery. Now what kind of surgery depends upon each individual patient. Make sure you talk to a doctor if you believe you are suffering from disc protrusion.